So you love rice and peas but you don't know how to make it. Here's how my mom taught me. Easy peasie!
You will need:
- Large pot
- Parboiled rice
- Dry red kidney beans (small or large)
- Coconut milk (canned, creamed or powder)
- 1 sprig thyme and parsley
- Clove of garlic
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper or pepper sauce
- Optional: Salted meat (e.g. bacon)
- salt and pepper
Soak about 1 cup of dry red kidney beans (small or large) in water over night.
The next day:
- Wash the beans and throw them a large pot
- Add enough water so the beans are covered by about 2 inches of water Add 1 can of coconut milk, a sprig of thyme, salt to taste (yes, taste the water), parsley, a clove garlic, black pepper, 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper (to float in the water), bacon or some sort of salted meat (optional), coconut cream, and some salt.
- Boil the beans on high for about 5 minutes then lower the temperature to medium hot.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the beans from sticking to the bottom. Allow beans to boil until the they are soft enough to be eaten, usually about 1 hour.
- Add about 4 cups of washed rice to the beans. You may have to add extra water, just make sure the water is about one inch (use the first line on your finger...nuckle trick) above the beans and rice.
- Boil on semi-high for about 5-10 minutes, then turn the pot down to medium. Take the pot off of the heat when most of the water has been boiled out. Pick through the rice and peas with a fork to separate the rice and make it a little fluffy.
Rice and Peas - Jamaican Recipes
Rice and Peas - Cook Like a Jamaican