This is a photo of my daughter and her naturally curly hair. After many not-so-happy hair episodes and trying many different styling products, I have landed on a routine that includes some products that my daughter and I love. The results are shiny, bouncy, curls that last up to two days.
My daughter's curls are the kind you dream about having. She loves her hair but I can't say that's always been the case. For a very long time, she use to wished she had long, straight, blond hair like Rapunzel. A wish that I knew would never come true...without the use of peroxide, of course.
After some reflection, I realized that she didn't really hate her hair, she just hated the misery associated with taking care of it. Let me just say, combing and styling were a pain...for both of us. She use to love to wear her hair down so by the end of the day she'd end up with knots hiding under her beautiful curls. No matter how gently I pulled the comb or brush through, I could see her tearing up. My heart would just hurt for her.
The key to ending her misery was finding the right products to moisturize, offer some protection and make detangling a happy occasion. I have found a method that my daughter loves and that leaves her hair looking beautiful the whole day.
Wide tooth comb
Paddle brush - my go-to for tangles
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner or 50:50 Balanced Shampoo and Conditioner
Mixed Chicks Leave-In conditioner (key to detangling) or Cantu Leave-In Treatment
Argan Oil, Cocunut Oil, or the oil of your choice
My Curly Girl Routine
- Wash with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture shampoo (or 50:50 Balanced Shampoo). After testing many shampoos, this one has proven to stand up against the rest. Sulfate free with excellent cleaning properties, this product starts delivering the moisture you need for your curly hair routine.
- Gently wring out excess water and apply Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture conditioner (or 50:50 Balanced Conditioner). Starting from the ends of your hair, slowly work the conditioner up to the scalp. Although I try to leave the conditioner in for at least 5 minutes to get its full effects, you can feel Deeper Moisture silky effects as soon as you start working it in. Leave the conditioner in while you finish taking your shower. Rinsing the conditioner out is the last thing I do before exiting.
- Gently wrap wet hair with a t-shirt to remove the excess water. Never use a towel on curly hair, you'll just end up with frizzy hair.
- Put in about a dollop about the size of a quarter of Mixed Chicks Leave-in Conditioner (or Cantu Leave-in Treatment) in your hand, then add a few drops of the argan oil (or the oil of your choice). Mix the conditioner and oil together by rubbing your hands. Apply it to the hair, ensuring that it covers the hair from the roots to the ends.
- My favourite for untangling my daughter's curly hair is the good old paddle brush. Although, many experts from the hair industry would advise against it. My other go-to for painless detangling is a wide toothed comb. Start tackling the knots at the ends, then work your way up. Curly girls pay attention, if you plan to style your hair with a part in it, this is the time to do it.
- During the summer months, I let my daughter's hair air-dry. But in the winter, I use a diffuser to dry it before she leaves the house.
- Once the hair is dry, add a bit more oil to finish off the style. This step will reduce the chance of your hair going frizzy and give your curls that healthy bounce.
And now for some extra hair tips...
- Do not let anyone cut or trim your curly hair unless they are experienced with curly hair. They should have a great reputation before you let them touch you locks.
- You can help your curls get through a second day.
- Apply some oil.
- Hang your hair upside down.
- Gently pull your hair in to a loose ponytail at the top of your head, using a hair tie ("ouchless" is the best).
- The next morning, with your head hanging upside down, gently remove the elastic.
- Use a light spritz of water (mixed with your favorite leave-in) to help spring the curls back up.
- Sleep on a satin pillowcase or tie your hair up in to a silk scarf to prevent damage. Sleeping on a cotton pillowcase will cause your hair to dry out and break.
- Always keep a spray bottle of water around to touch up messy curls. Water is an excellent styling aid for refreshing curly styles. Actually, water mixed with leave-in conditioner will leave your hair feeling silky with shine.
- I love argan oil by One N' Only but you have to find the oil that works the best for you. Black Hair 101 can give you an overview on almost all of them. Here are a couple of ideas:
- Olive oil mixed with coconut oil (1:1 ratio) will give your curly hair that extra shine you're looking for. I recommend using at as a treatment up to a day before your next wash.
- Now Solutions pure argan oil can be added to other hair products that you use in your routine.
- Try to keep the hot hair tools away from your children's hair.
- Cool water is a curly girl's friend. Cool water seals the moisture in to the hair shaft and smooths the hair cuticle.
The 10 Most Popular Oils for Curly Hair by NaturallyCurly
Oils Explained: Essential Oils and Carrier Oils for Hair by Black Hair 101
The Best Oil for Healthy Hair by Pioneer Thinking