Skip to main content

Heel the Pain

Courtesy: Yournextshoes.com

High-heels look good but they can be painful. I probably should turn to a more practical type of shoe but the styles of the practical shoes are not very appealing to me. I refuse to give up wearing heels. I'm 5'4" and shoes with high-heels make me look leaner and my legs sexier. I wear flats too but they look a little to frumpy with dressier outfits.

Some of you might say, if the high-heels hurt then don't wear them. But the reality is that most women love they way they look in high-heels and are going to continue wearing them. That's who this post is for.

I plan on wearing heels until my dying days and I've found some ways to make it less painful.




  1. The next time you know you're going to be spending a few hours in heels rub some pain relief cream on your feet. It will relieve the pain and reduce the inflammation. You won't feel a thing for hours. I recommend using one that doesn't have a strong scent.  Two of my favorites are Voltaren Emulgel and Deep Cool Pain Relief, which you can find at most pharmacies in Toronto.




  2. Friction from the soles of your feet rubbing against the inside of your shoes will cause calluses to form. Once you get them, they can be a nuisance because they'll just keep coming back.  A good foot file will make a big difference.  I've tried many and the only one I'll swear by is the Pediclean Foot File Medium (two sided medium - grit 100/150).  Lasts for about 6 months and can even be used in the shower or bath. I pick mine up for about $20 from the Stillwater Spa at Toronto Park Hyatt Hotel.






  3. Insoles can make a huge difference in when it comes to foot pain relief. After suffering for a few weeks with consistent pain in the centre of my foot, my mom suggested that I try Birkenstock Arch Blu insoles. Then I found out that a few of my friends have been wearing them in their shoes for some time. The Birkenstock ones won't fit in all of my shoes so I also use a pair made by New Balance Sport Cushion Insole. You can find both of these insoles at Walking on Cloud (in-store or online).



  4. A good foot soak can give you the best relief from foot pain. I use 1:1 ratio of Epsom Salt and baking soda. This is also known as a great DIY detox bath. The CrunchyMoose.com breaks down why and how it works to your benefit.


  5. Invest in a good shoe stretcher. You only need to buy one. My shoe stretcher has saved me a ton of money. All those painful shoes I couldn't make it out of the door in, have been stretched to fit my feet. It's a two way stretcher, so it can widen or lengthen a shoe. It even has little nodes that you can place strategically in the trouble spots.  I have the one similar to the pic above and I paid about $40 for it at a little shoe repair shot. Footsmart is selling their Fitright Two-Way Stretcher online for $20. I may be telling you the obvious but do not try this type of stretcher in your boots.

How do you relieve your foot pain? I'd love to hear from you.




Comments